Job Title: Director of Community
Organization: Royal Family KIDS, Inc.
Location: Santa Ana/Costa Mesa, CA, Area
WANTED: An organizational superstar with a natural flair for using social media and an eye for creative excellence. Also, you must be a great writer/editor who is not afraid of bursting into tears (from the amazing stories from the kids we serve, not because the boss is a jerk).
Royal Family KIDS, the nation’s leading network of summer camps and mentoring clubs for kids in foster care, is seeking to fill a key position at its national office in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa. This is a rare opportunity to start a life-changing career with eternal benefits (and some earthly ones, too). These include competitive (non-profit) pay, a fun work environment, a flexible work schedule, and most importantly, making a tangible difference in the lives of kids who need YOU!
As the first ever Director of Community, you will be responsible for managing the messaging of the charity, both in print materials and online. You will work with our leadership team and network of Directors around the world to collect the heartwarming stories to communicate to our donors. With the help of our outside programmers and creative teams, you will reshape and refine our website and social media strategies. We are seeking someone ultra-comfortable with WordPress, Photoshop, and other programs. You will also work with our financial team to maintain our donor software and tracking the trends in our donors’ giving.
You will serve on the front lines when communicating with our donors, which makes this one of the most important positions at our charity.
Finally, you will help our President by scheduling fundraising and donor appointments, following up on emails and phone calls, and generally serving as Executive Assistant as needed. You will train under our Communications Director and President, and it is a full-time position with opportunities for advancement.
- Gather, filter and manage all communication elements (stories, pictures, audio, video) from camp directors, club directors, volunteers and others as needed and create a schedule for distribution throughout the charity’s network.
- Provide marketing skills and expertise where applicable in social media, online presence, video production, print materials etc, working with in-house or outside contractors for creative and graphic design development as needed.
- Assist with the design, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral, including (but not limited to) newsletters, monthly donor letters, receipt letters, appeals, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, etc.
- Coordinate print packages/communications in pre-press stage of production through final product.
- Coordinate website maintenance system. Ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is proofed and ready to be posted regularly according to social media calendar. Assist with individual camp website program.
- Communicate and work closely with all relevant internal departments as it pertains to the marketing/communication departments.
- Assist with preparing appreciation/recognition gifts for Board, volunteers, donors, outside professionals, etc.
- Assist with coordination of fundraising events and other donor functions.
- Help identify grant opportunities, recommend new technologies/platforms and help the organization track current, potential and lapsed donors.
- Serve as Executive Assistant for the President, as needed.
- The above responsibilities are subject to change and additional duties may be assigned as needed.
- 3+ years of marketing/communications experience, preferably in non-profit sector. (We had to say this. The truth is that if you’re the right person for the job, we’ll hire you — it just might take longer to get through the interviews.)
- BA or BS degree.
- Project management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to think analytically.
- Strong communication skills and a positive public speaking presence.
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and other desktop applications such as Photoshop, donor management software.
- Knowledgeable in current marketing/digital trends and technologies.
- High degree of integrity with the ability to handle confidential and sometimes highly sensitive matters in the appropriate manner.
- Must be a happy, positive worker with an acute sense of urgency in regard to frequent deadlines.
- Versatility, flexibility and enthusiasm – “no task is too small or too big” mentality.
- Highly organized and a self-starter. Able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives. Professional attitude.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
Salary: Depends on Experience
In-Service Training: There is one week required attendance of our Director’s Training Institute in June. This week is paid service.
Vacation: See PTO Policy
Sick Pay: See PTO Policy
Work Hours: 40 hours per week, flexible in-office schedule possible, as coordinated with the President.
Holidays: RFKC, Inc. observes approximately 9 holidays; offices will be closed:
New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Friday following Thanksgiving, Christmas.
If you feel God nudging you to apply for this position, please follow these steps:
- Send an email to Chris Carmichael, our President, at CHRISC@ROYALFAMILYKIDS.ORG.
- Mark the subject line “Director of Community.”
- Attach a simple resume and be sure to include at least three references.
- In a cover letter (or the email body), tell Chris a little more about you and what makes you tick. Please have patience as we expect this to be a popular opportunity and we may not be able to respond right away.